ILM Level 5 Certificate in Effective Coaching & Mentoring*
A professional qualification, delivered by a professional, for:
- Existing coaches (more skills to become even better)
- New coaches (skills to set you on the road to coach expertly)
- Managers (become great at managing people and hence future-proof your career)
- NLPers (be more credible with this qualification which is far beyond the NLP field)
*Or choose our ILM Recognised and / or Institute of Leadership &
Management Accredited Advanced Coaching Skills course
and upgrade later.
Overview of ILM Level 5 Certificate in Effective Coaching & Mentoring / ILM Recognised Advanced Coaching Skills /
Institute of Leadership & Management Accredited Advanced Coaching Skills
This highly-practical and professional ILM Level 5 Certificate in Effective Coaching & Mentoring course (incorporating an NLP Diploma training course) offers you advanced coaching skills training and an internationally-recognised coaching qualification. The training course lasts 6 days in three short modules, plus we offer 12 months of support afterwards (18 months for the Level 5 Diploma) to help you do the post-course assignments. The ILM is one of the UK’s top leadership and management qualifications bodies; as we are one of their Approved Centres, you know you will be receiving quality training.
If you would like these executive coaching skills but are not yet ready (or do not want) to do the full ILM qualification, you can do just the 6-day classroom training, or if you would like a certificate, you can do one or both of the ILM Recognised Advanced Coaching Skills or the Institute of Leadership & Management Accredited Advanced Coaching Skills (explained in the FAQs below).
You can upgrade to the full qualification if and when you’re ready. Because we’re an ILM Approved centre and Institute of Leadership & Management Approved, you can feel reassured that whichever option you choose you will be receiving high quality training; whichever option you choose includes an NLP Diploma training course.
As The Lazarus Consultancy is an organizational member of the Association for Coaching (AC), attending this course entitles you to a one-year student membership to the AC at no cost.
Why do this course?
- the ILM‘s qualifications and certificates are very credible internationally
- because the course has been vetted by ILM, and because we are an ILM Approved Centre, you can feel re-assured that you will receive high-quality training
- as there are various levels, you can choose the one that suits your ambitions and current circumstances, and upgrade later if you would like to
- the course will be delivered by Jeremy Lazarus, an ex-Finance Director and highly-qualified coach, who will personally help you link the classroom training to your own situation
- a one-year student membership to the Association for Coaching (AC) at no cost
What you will learn?
The course will teach you advanced coaching skills as well as how to gain the ILM Level 5 Certificate.
Please note that we may adjust the content depending on exact timings.
Frequently asked questions
There are three main parts of the ILM syllabus.
- Classroom training. This is the 6 days described above.
- Coaching/mentoring practice. ILM require 18 hours with 2-3 clients for ILM Level 5 Certificate in Effective Coaching & Mentoring, and 54 hours with 6-9 clients for ILM Level 5 Diploma. We usually ask that you start your hours once the face to face training has ended, so that you are able to use all the skills learned on the course. We will give you one hour of coach supervision by phone for the Certificate or three hours of coach supervision by phone for the Diploma.
- Written assignments. ILM require three written papers. In summary, the first paper is about the theory of coaching and mentoring, the second is about the coaching / mentoring practice (18 hours for the Certificate, 60 hours for The Diploma), and the third is about your reflections on what you learned. The guideline word-count is roughly 8,000 to 11,000 in all. The ILM registration period lasts 3 years, and we recommend that you complete the ILM Level 5 Certificate within 6 months (the Diploma takes slightly longer as there are more coaching hours). Included in the price is 12 months’ support from us for the Certificate (18 months for the Diploma); if you have not successfully completed the qualification within this timeframe, you will need to apply to us for additional support, for which there will be a charge of a minimum of £500. ILM provides three documents to help you write each paper, and we will explain this during the course.
This is based on the UK Government’s National Qualification Framework. As mentioned in this ILM document, Level 5 roughly equates to the level of the first year or two of a Batchelors Degree, and Level 7 roughly equates to Masters’ Degree level.
For each topic you will first learn the key theory and background. Then you will see a demonstration and do an exercise to put it into practice. Finally, you will discuss how to apply the learnings in your life and work. There will be numerous coaching exercises, and you will learn different coaching approaches to use for different clients. The trainers and the coaching assistants will be there to give you feedback and support to improve your skills.